Sunday, July 28, 2024

Tranquility base

This morning I went down and sucked up the last of the base ground cover.  This looks so much better than the flat, grey ceiling tile that I have looked at for the last 15 years.  I'm excited to start getting some static grass, trees, bushes, shrubs and Kudzu in place.

While it probably looks way too green at the moment, overtime it'll change as I add different shades of greens and a variety of ground coverings and trees.






I think the eroded hillside came out pretty good?  Now to get some static grass, trees and exposed roots in place.



I want to take my time and experiment with some different methods that I have read about over the years and see which will work and how to go about them.  In the meantime, there's another project that I've been wanting to work on as well, so I might get sidetracked a bit;  the backdrop for the yard.

Especially since getting the trees and clouds done behind Ruston and Winnfield, the yard backdrop looks too plain, but at least it's blue.  My original thought years ago was to paint it blue with clouds, then kitbash some 3D building flats from kits to set against the drop.  Over time I have founds several ideas that I want to explore.  One being printed paper building flats that are glued to foam core.

I found the guy on eBay several years ago and found out he has a webpage as well.  You can buy individual buildings that are pre mounted on foam that you can just stick on your layout.  Or you can buy two full sheets from him that you can cut out and mount them yourself.  You can leave them as they are printed, or cut them out and rearrange them to suit.

My thought is that these are mainly images of the backside of the buildings, which you would normally see from the rail yard.  The print quality seems to be pretty decent, but for a backdrop, I wouldn't want any high res prints that could distract your eyes from the layout.

I think I'm going to order the sheets and play around with them and see what I think?  In them meantime, I'll start noodling and adding some greenery on the base.   


 


No comments:

Post a Comment