Sunday, January 30, 2022
Sunday, January 23, 2022
Tuesday, January 18, 2022
After getting the bents (or pilings) assembled, I got them painted using Vallejo German Camo Black Brown. It's a little dark but I'll use some lighter weathering powder to lighten them up a bit and add the water marks before installing the bridge.
Once the paint was dry, I took the next step and got them assembled to the stringer. MEK made quick work of the assembly process! This is the main reason I chose to build the bridge out of styrene as opposed to wood.
I had to scrape a little bit of paint off of the parts where the joints would be made because I didn't waste time masking them. After it was assembled, I touched up a few spots... good as new!
Of course, I couldn't wait to see what it would look like, so I grabbed some Micro Engineering bridge flex, cut a chunk longer enough to use and placed on the bridge and then set some locos on it.
As it is right now, the bents are about 1/2" to 5/8" longer than they need to be, so I'll trim them right before I get ready to set it in place. This is also the area where the bridge will end up at.
Sunday, January 16, 2022
I used a scrap of 1-1/2" foam and glued a layer of cork on top so I could use "TEE" pins to locate and hold the parts in place while the glue dried. I made the plans on CorelDraw for the bents and taped them down to the foam/cork boards with a sheet of parchment paper over the plans.
For the most part, I just eyeballed the bents and cross braces. This print and MEK made quick work of the bents.
As they are right now, the bents are taller than I need and I will cut them to a closer length once I get the ceiling tile and foam cleared from the area on the layout.
I did much the same thing for the stringer. Instead of making a pair of stringers, I decided to cheat and make only one stringer 3/8"wide. Once I get things painted and assembled, I doubt you'll even be able to see it? Doing it this way made it very easy to shape the pieces and glue them together.
If this bridge would have been positioned up front, towards the edge of the layout, I probably would have opted to use wood, but so far, using styrene, this has been a breeze to build. Once painted and weathered, I think it'll be tough to notice that its styrene and not wood.
Friday, January 14, 2022
I got a start on the bridge tonight.
First thing I did was to lay a piece of paper over the tracks, made some location marks and then ran a graphite stick over the rails. This gives me a perfect plan for the shape of the Stringers and Bridge.
The bridge will be a bit longer than the paper template, it'll start under the left loco and end about an 1" beyond the right loco. The styrene strips are 14" so the bridge should end up being about 12-1/2" or so long.
Then I scanned it as a .JPG file and saved it as TOP view, then flipped the image and saved it again as BOTTOM view.
I also drew up a template for the bents.
The pilings are longer than I need.
Saturday, January 8, 2022
As I progress on the layout, I have come to realize that I have fallen into the age old trap of cramming 10 lbs of crap into a 5 lb bag.
Fordyce is a good example of this. In the images below Fordyce has two industries. One is the Flappers Chicken Plant, things were fairly OK until I added in Gavilon (the one in the background of the first image), I added Gavilon so I could even out the workload back when I had two locals running on the layout. I really like the premises of Gavilon but it got too close to Fordyce.
So I never got around to working on Fordyce until now. The easiest thing that can be done is to remove the actual Flappers building and only leave the siding for the Tallow loading of tank cars. By doing this it'll leave me a lot of negative space for scenery and hopefully I'll be able to make some sort of view block.
What I've come up with is to add a slight hill, maybe no more than 2" tall and add some tall trees which will somewhat block the view of Gavilon, at least at track level. I'm also hoping it'll also help force your eye to the middle of Fordyce a little better?
This what I had planned for Flappers at Fordyce.
It's literally a stones throw from Gavilon on the outskirts of Haskell.
So I started removing everything today and wound up with this, a wide open space and one siding for the tank cars. It's a bit long but as a friend said "Try to make it a bit longer even though it will only be a two-spotter so there's "breathing room"
Sunday, January 2, 2022
While I'm sure there are probably a hundred or more things I could to do to it, and thousands more detail parts to add, I'm calling it done for now. The only thing that I may still add to the facility and yard for now would be some of the grass/weed tufts that I've made.
I've had a real enjoyable time working on this scene! Over the past couple of decades of reading, watching and soaking up ideas for modeling, I was finally able to bring a lot of them to the front burner and see what I could do with them. This includes anything from trackwork to scenery to weathering and finally some photography.
I also wish to thank Mike Confalone for posting images of his Madrid engine facility which gave me the inspiration for my facility.
Here are some images of the current scene of the Biddle facility.
These are a few that I played around with Helicon Focus and added backdrops to, but I've still got a bit of learning to do.