Sunday, March 31, 2024

GP7 #434

Since the 1299 didn't take very long to finish, I decided to push myself to get two more older GP7's done. These were two of the original 12 GP7's that The Rock received in July and August of 1950 and were numbered in the Fearsome Four Hundred series. The first one is 434.  

The 434 it did not last until the shutdown.  It was slated to be rebuilt and renumbered to 4495 but instead was traded to PNC (Precision National Corp) during the CRP (Capital Rebuilding Program) that was initiated in 1974, a program to rebuild the large majority of Rock Island's aging GP7's, which also included GP9's and GP18's.

But it will continue to run on my layout...

Again, I followed the same method of painting and weathering as I did on the previous GP7's and GP40's, I painted them, then did the major weathering followed by applying the decals.

I did not add much for details as it was pretty plain.  The the spark arrestors are a new product that I found on Shapeways designed by Wutter, these are 3D printed and turned out very nice.  I'm trying to decide if I should an All Weather Window on the engineers side? I have a JNJ kit, but it has 3 panes and not two.

One interesting tidbit I noticed when I was applying the number boards, is how the 3 digits are offset to the outer edges and not centered.  Every image I could of the 400 series of GP7's were done up like this.


The 439 is just about finished...



Wednesday, March 27, 2024

GP7 #1299

I just can't seem to help myself...

I just received this new Atlas GP7 a few days ago and I found myself with a little time to kill.  Knowing this wouldn't be a full on paint job since the loco came in the right paint scheme with no details to add, I decided to pull the trigger.

I have a long list of paint schemes to apply to my fleet of GP7's, two have been checked off my list now: the previous GP7 #1201 in the red and yellow and now this one.  

The #1299 is kind of an odd duck, as it's in the maroon and yellow scheme of the late 60's, but yet it carried the speed lettering that was common in the early 70's with the red and yellow scheme.  I did find a few more GP7's with this scheme as well as a few other models like the GP40's, U25/28b's and the U33B's.  Along with the lettering, this unit is still sporting the "Torpedo Tubes", a telltale sign of it's previous life, that  being in passenger service.

This is how it finished out.



Friday, March 15, 2024

GP40 #4711

GP40  #4711 is now on the roster.

As done before, I followed the same process that I did for the #1201 & #389. It'll be nice to have some more RED mixed in with the collection of Maroon units.  Before these and the one GP35, I had a couple of SD40-2's, a U30C and a U25B.  

My roster and yard is starting to look more like a Rock Island engine facility in the late 70's...

The pair

And the Trio

Though I made some good progress over the last couple years adding to my roster, I am far from being done.  I still have the GP7/9's (which will have multiple paint schemes.)  I still want to add several schemes to my fleet of GP40's, U25B's.  Then a couple more U30C's and at least one more GP18.  
So that should keep me busy for awhile?

Sunday, March 10, 2024

GP40 #389

GP40 #389 joins the fleet today.

I pretty much followed the same game plan that I did to the GP7 #1201 

One more red GP40 to go...

Sunday, March 3, 2024

The Winnfield local with the 1201 on point


GP7 #1201

The GP7 1201 joined the fleet today.

I applied a few more battle scars to my version since I'm modeling 1979.  The image of the proto that I used was dated 1976, which was three years earlier and the paint was probably two years old.

I used Tru-Color Rock Island Red and Yellow then toned it down with some Pan Pastels so it wasn't as vibrant and sealed it.

I added Sun Shades, Spark arrestors, a typical 5 chime horn, 1mm jewels for the marker lights and Micro Trains 1015 couplers.  A Digitrax DN163A0 was installed and I added a surface mount 804 LED for a brighter front headlight as I have done with the GP35's and the U33B's and the refurbished U25B's in the past.

Weathering was done with Tamiya black panel liner and several colors of Pan Pastels, along with some brown oil paint for the rust marks.  Decals were Micro Scale. 

Here it is sitting next to one of the maroon GP35's for comparison.