Now that the deck bridge is assembled, I want to get it painted and weathered before getting the track assembled to it. At first I wasn't sure of what color I wanted it to be: Silver, Red Oxide or black?
While scouting the net looking for examples I stumbled upon a blog where the owner was building a similar deck bridge and he also covered how he weathered it, Bingo! It was just what I wanted.
He painted his black and then showed a decent step by step method of weathering it fairly heavy. He used a product from AK Interactive called "Heavy Chipping Effects" I've heard of the product, but never looked into it. After a few hours of surfing I found out it was basically nothing more than using the Hairspray method to resemble chipped and worn paint.
I set about to recreate this using a couple of El Cheapo Atlas plate girder bridges I had on hand. The first thing I did was to paint them with Floquil Oxide Red, then went back over the ribs with the same Oxide Red but added a bit of Floquil Roof Brown to make a shadow rust color for a little variance of color.
Then I added some Bragdon Rust powders to vary the rust color further, then sealed it with a lacquer Gloss coat.
Next I sprayed on a good heavy coat of some El Cheapo hair spray for a the "Chipping Effect" later.
The next step was to add the salt for the "Salt Weathering technique.
Now I've done both sides of these two bridges, but I was a lot happier with Side "B" so that is what I'm showing, both side "B"'s. I had too much salt on the "A" side.
Once the salt dried, I knocked off the excess that was loose and I brought out the Flat Black acrylic paint and shot a decent coat over the remaining salt and let it dry (I'm showing side "A" because I failed to a shot of side "B" with the paint).
After the black paint dried I used a stiff brush to remove the remaining salt.
With the paint dry I grabbed a medium stiff brush and some water. Now to see if the Hairspray technique was going to work? I dipped the brush in the water and brushed it on the areas of the black paint and started lightly scrubbing. Within a few seconds the black paint started to chip right off!
Look at the previous picture and you can see how much I "chipped off".
YES! I was heading in the right directions with this! But it was a little to stark of a contrast so I drug out my new Pan Pastel powders to work them over a bit to see if I could blend things together for a better contrast.
I used three colors, Black, Rust and Dark Brown. This is what I ended up with.
I think this is what I'm looking for! I might try to go back and touch up the black on the test bridges with a bit more black powder, or I'll use less brown on the actual bridge.
I got the actual bridge painted and ready for the weathering steps I listed above.
Wish me luck...