Sunday, August 25, 2024

Railroad crossing stencil

I wanted to get a crossing stencil on the new highway and I asked around.  I found one of the brass S&S models from a friend on a forum that I frequent and also inquired about having one printed, which a friend from our forum did happily make for me.

Once I got them in my hand, the first thing I tried was to use by stipple painting with them.  However the results were less than stellar.  I wanted to try applying them by airbrush but was held back by the worry of not being able to the clean the over spray off the stencil since I like using solvent based paints, Tru-Color to be exact. I was worried that the cleaning solvent would melt the prints.

This afternoon I found a little time to give it a go and it worked like champ!  I was even able to remove the over spray from the printed stencil using lacquer thinner.  From what I could tell, it did not damage the print.  Double bonus.





After removing the stencil I used an ultra fine brush and touched up the lines from the stencil, I must say I'm happy with the way these turned out. 

I did not add the white lines in front of or behind the stencil.  After looking at a lot of the crossings on Google maps, I found quite a few different designs from crossings along the old line.  Now I know UP is running portions of this line and I figured they may have updated some of them to current standards.  

But I did notice that some had lines, some only one line, while others didn't even have stencils on the road at all.  One of them even had the two "R's" in front of the "X" stencil, which I had never seen before.  Depending on how ambitious I feel I may go back and paint them.  I will probably, at least,  paint a white line that's even with crossing gates next to the tracks when I get them installed.




  

No comments:

Post a Comment