Sunday, August 18, 2024

Highway striping

I continue to bounce back and forth between projects.  I got the building flats and played with them as I continued painting the styrene highway.  I repainted the highway several times before I found a color to my liking.  Next up was to add the stripping to the highway.


I thought about using vinyl tape but thought they may wind up looking too fresh for what I wanted so I decided to paint them instead.  Recently someone on a forum used masking tape and "painted" the lines with Pan Pastels, which looked real good, but I know from experience that they can fade away pretty good when overshot with Dullcote to lock them in place.

I decided to use paint and stipple it on so it would be a solid line of yellow and white.  After doing a little research to figure out the proper widths of the lines, I used some Tamiya 1mm tape to separate the two middle yellow lines and 6mm to mask the outer edges of them.


For the outer white lines I used a strip 2mm to space them away from the pavement edges.  Then again I used a strip of 6mm for the inner edge.  I just eyeballed the widths.





I used some White and Yellow Tru-Color paint that looked close to the proper colors, I figured by the time I got around to weathering the highway they would blend nicely.



As for a "Crossing" stencil on the highway surface, I'm still playing around that.  I acquired an old S&S models brass stencil and a friend actually 3d printed me a stencil.

Unfortunately I'm having issues with using the stencils.  I have tried several times painting them with brushes and different viscosities of acrylic  paint, but so far the paint seems to either leak out from the stencil or if I happen to barely move it, it spreads the paint.   I even tried to tape it in place.

I let it dry once and when I pulled up the stencil, some of the paint came with it.  I may try spraying with my airbrush yet.  In the meantime I looked for some decals and came up empty handed, with the exception of some vinyl transfers.  So I ordered a set to see how they'll work.



No comments:

Post a Comment