Wednesday, June 7, 2023

Finished the cabooses

I really should have waited to get the decals in hand before I painted the cabooses or went back and painted the roof edges red before applying the decals.
While the block lettering fit nicely, the speed lettering is a bit too large. I painted the roof edges black according to images that I found online. If I hadn't painted the roof edges, both would have fit much better.

The K4 decals are OK, a touch thicker than Micro Scale, if you look real close you can see the outline on some of them, but not terrible. Overall I'm happy how they are turning out. I do like the Kartrak ACI labels! I need to go back at some point and add them to my locos as well.

I also added window glazing that I made from clear sheet plastic and lightly dusted with weathering powders.

This first image was taken before I added the brush guards, but with the stock Athearn caboose, you can see the amount of weathering I applied. Before weathering, it was very close to the Athearn model.








Here's the MoPac airslide hopper with it's final weathering.



With these wrapped up, I'm going to get the layout setup back so I can test the new files we made finalized in JMRI Ops and see how well they work.





2 comments:

  1. They look pretty good. What is in the side window of one caboose? An air conditioner?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Lol, that's supposed to be a metal plate...

      Delete