Saturday, May 13, 2023

Cupola Cabooses

Decided to take a little break from JMRI Ops and do a little modeling.  I had planned to work on a few more locomotives, but decided to keep the project a little smaller than what I did with the GP35's and the U33B's.

This is one style of caboose that I have never had in my collections, but recently after watching some old  films turned to video and posted on YouTube of the Montezuma branch, I thought I'd like to add a couple to the fleet.

(Neither of these are my photos.)



So I started out with a couple of Micro Trains standard cabooses like these:



The first thing I needed to do was to remove the roof walks, upper ladder rungs and fill the holes.  Not sure if I'm going to fill in the windows at this point or not?

Instead filling the holes with some sort of putty, I decided to snip off the stems that hold the roof walk in place and then jamb some styrene into the rest of the holes on the roof and try carving them.



It looks a little rough but I'll try to file things down a bit more and then paint should cover the worst of my sins.

The second one is in process.

 





1 comment:

  1. After the glue dries, try filling in any gaps with Testors Model Master primer (if you can find any) or any similar really thick paint. Let the paint dry completely, then sand and file to shape. It works like a charm.

    ReplyDelete