I had a pretty productive weekend.
I worked on the engine facility on and off, 10 min here and 20 minutes there. I got to where I feel this is a presentable stopping point. I still have a few minor things I want to do yet and I have on order a couple of detail parts then I'll put a wrap on it. Hopefully they'll be here next weekend?
The first thing I did was to adjust the wheel stops. I had a some folks mention that they were too close to the end of the rails and they felt that the couplers would hit the building? They didn't but they were a little close so I moved them. Luckily they popped right. Did I ever tell you I hate CA glue? This time I used a small drop of 5min epoxy.
The next thing was the track next to the fuel storage tanks. My original plan was to have them filled by a truck, but after thinking about it, there was no reason not to shove a tank car in there and have it fill the tanks, mainly due because of the size of the storage tanks. But this would mean I'd have to extend the track and I already had the groundcover down. siiigggh....
"Well here's goes nothing!"
I measured how much track I needed and then grabbed my Exacto with a #17 blade and started in. I was quite pleased as it popped right up once I got a small area open. Then I just worked a little at a time until I had enough room for the track to sit in place.
I glued it in place and tried to line it up the best I could. Once it was dry I started to replace the ballast and ground cover and last night I was able to blend it in with the rest of the grimey and oily track. Then I added another coat of thinned gloss Mod Podge and walked away.
With a tank car sitting here, I can still squeeze three GP's on the fueling track.
This morning I added some ties in front of the fueling pad and added some weeds around them. I added more ground foam base on the parking lot near the tracks leading into the facility, and along the edge of the parking lot near the mainline as well as around the building.
When the parts show up, I'll get the rest of the static grass added to the foam base and start adding some of the weed tufts. Here's a couple of overview shots of the scene as I left it tonight. I still need to weather the sand tower...
Oh yeah, I also glued down the yard lead to the right of the building, this will be for the industrial tracks once I get them installed.