Thursday, January 16, 2014

Back to weathering...


Before I get after the new building for Olin-Chlor, I wanted to play with some weathering again.

I have a ton of older cars that I want to thin out and instead of listing them on eBay as stock cars I thought I would try dolling them up a bit and see if I could sell them to scare up some extra cash for the new projects in Malvern as well as get a little bit of practice in.

These were all done using same technique that I used for the other locos that I've done before in this post.  But this time I left a little more of the brown paint on so as to look rustier and more abused.  One thing I'm looking for is a way to weather my fleet with a simple and fairly quick process that has good results.  Like most anything with modeling, it takes time.












In the second batch I did the same thing but this time I wanted to add a few scratches, something I didn't do with the first round.  I also took some side by side, before and after pics since I had duplicate cars to do this with.  This give a real good sense of how much of a change takes place.














The more I work with oils the more I like them.  They are very forgiving in that if you don't like what you've done you can simply wipe it off with a dry "Q" tip and try again.  The only drawback to oils is it takes awhile for the paint layer to dry, but this also is good in that you have plenty of time to work with it.  I normally leave each color coat to dry at least for 24 hours if not 48 hours before sealing each layer with a coat of Dull Coat. 

While this may not be the best or fastest way to weather, it's definitely easy.  Each color is wiped on and then wiped off, each time leaving a little bit more of each color so that it builds up layers giving it a deeper, richer color.  

I can get 5-7 cars done in about week.  Even with a large fleet, doing a few at a time will still take awhile.  But as they say, the best way to eat an elephant is one bite at a time.






2 comments: