Saturday, November 2, 2013

Sounds of Construction in Malvern, part 6


After a month of working on the Crushmoore building I think I've reached a point where I can call it good and move onto the other buildings in Malvern.  There's still a lot of smaller details left to be added such as piping, weathering and misc items which I can do at a later time, but at least now I can get it located and start in with ground cover.  I still need to add a small parking lot on the right side by the office, this I want to try using some roofing felt for an asphalt lot.

The last thing I added was the roof top details.  These were all made with LEGOs except for the Air Conditioning unit on the office, I think this was a Burt Industries detail. After gathering all the pieces I wanted, I glued them together and painted them an SP Lark gray and added silver to some of them for a bit of variety.

Using LEGOs for details is a great alternative to buying pre-made details and the possibilities can be unlimited.  What a great idea!





















While this may not be a masterpiece of a model, it has taught me that scratch building is not as hard as I once thought.  It can yield a unique structure that you can't otherwise find on the open market and one which you can fit the area that you have.

This was a fun build and I'm looking forward to doing more of the same throughout the layout.

Thanks for following along.






6 comments:

  1. You did an absolutely awesome job on this project Allen! I'm so envious! I picked up some building materials today to hopefully start constructing one of the Ottawa Silica buildings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As always Steven, thanks for the kinds words. I'm surprised at how easy it actually was, you shouldn't have any problems building yours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Watching the progress of this facility was very interesting. Alan you did a great job. I like the use of the LEGO parts and also the construction of the dust silos, very inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  4. G'day from down under Allen
    That building has come up looking really good. I would never had thought of using Lego for details and yet you have pulled it off. Well done Allen.
    Rod.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Mike! I'm glad I could give a little inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Howdy Rod!
    Thanks for the compliments. That makes two of us on the LEGOs. When I first seen what Rich did with his LEGOs and I got my first batch, the possibilities seemed endless. I couldn't wait to see what I could do with them. Their not perfect, but they do a good enough job to fool the eyes.
    Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete