Friday, October 25, 2024

Tufts, tufts and more tufts for the bog

I know I know.....

There've a been a bazillion static grass tuft "How To's" posted over the years, but a friend asked me how I did mine to get them looking full and not chincy looking.  So I took a few pics when a did a batch, hopefully these pics will explain it better.

These tufts happened to be made using a lighter color so I had some color variation.  For these I started with some Silflor 6.5mm Late Summer and Autumn grass. 


Then I mixed it into the hopper, roughly in a 2pt Autumn to 1pt Late Summer mix.

Next I started applying the glue dots to the Non Stick pans.


Next I applied the negative clip to the tray and started shaking the grass onto the dots, and continued until they were fully coated, then I moved the static tool above the grass back and forth keeping it about 1/2" above the dots.  This helped to move the grass some more and keep it standing upright.  

Then I shook the tray so that the excess moved around the dots even more.  After that I turned the tray upside down and tapped the edges slightly to knock off as much grass as I could.  



Then I reapplied the negative clip and repeated the whole process.  After that I laid the trays upside down so that gravity helped to keep the grass from laying down as much as possible.   

This is how they turned out, nice and full!


This is about what 12 trays have made for me so far, and I think I still need more?  If I had to buy this many, I would have had to take out a loan...



No comments:

Post a Comment