Friday, October 11, 2019

Repurposed Jewel Cases


Awhile back when I built my first GP18, the GP18 came in one of those long LifeLike jewel cases with a cheap plastic nest that was cracked. I also had one of the typical Atlas rectangular jewel cases with the nice gray foam liner that the GP7 chassis came in.  Since both locos were similar in size, the GP18 with the Atlas chassis dropped right in the Atlas jewel case.

The next one I built, I didn't have a spare Atlas jewel case to use.  So I snooped around on the internet and found some spare cases from a guy on eBay.  I picked up 10 for about $6 each that had the grey foam but they were meant for Atlas RS3’s.  Since the RS3's were smaller I figured some quick cuts with a sharp knife and I could get the GP18 to fit nice and snug?  Worked like a champ!

So after finishing my GP9r I was going to need a jewel case for it as well.  Grabbed one of those cases…



Made a rough trace and using a sharp X-Acto knife I cut those areas out……



 A new foam lined case…


  

Then like I do with all of locos, I labeled the end of the case using a Avery label.  This tells me what loco, what road and what chip I have installed.





Why go to this trouble you ask?
Having all the cases the same size if a plus for stacking or packing, plus the gray foam liner is much nicer than the cheap plastic inserts. 






No comments:

Post a Comment