With the session behind me, I started getting an itch to do something other trackwork.
So I picked an area that I knew was pretty much ready for scenery and started prepping the tracks to paint and then ballast. Man it's been awhile since I've done this last and had to stop and think of the process.
The first thing I did was to trim the excess cork back to the edges of the ties. I've always trimmed it back as I'm not a fan of a wide roadbed, especially since this isn't going to be a well maintained and manicured line.
Then I grabbed some old flex track and started cutting sections of ties to fill in the joints where they were missing. It's amazing how much better this makes things look.
Next will come the painting of the track. Again since this will be an older less maintained track, I didn't want to use a darker brown paint for the tracks. I want it to have more of a look like sun faded rather than a fresh look. So I found can of Rust-Oleum Bronze. It's actually not far off from Floquil Rail Brown, but it is a bit lighter.
I'm also going to use a custom blended ballast starting with a light gray. So I don't want the track to be too dark so it stands out in the lighter ballast. If this winds up being too light I can always tone it down with washes or powders.
Once I get the track painted and ready for ballast, I also want to continue working on the back drops. I want to replace the screws with countersunk ones, putty over them and fill in the seams, then I can continue painting the hills. I'm also itching to try a different technique for making clouds that I've been researching.